Your Company’s Step By Step Guide to Waste Reduction
Waste reduction has been a top priority for Australian governments since the early 1990s. In spite of organized efforts to reduce waste, the amount of waste generated by Australians continues to grow. Australia’s National Waste Policy outlines six key areas that require specific attention. Topping this list of six areas is the need for a shared responsibility for waste reduction within the business community. Below is a step by step guide to?waste reduction at your business.
1. Conduct a facility-wide assessment and develop a plan for improvement
Waste reduction efforts at?your business will be most effective with a systematic approach. Before diving into waste reduction activities, take the time to outline a plan that includes the following:
- An initial assessment of waste reduction efforts
- A summary of key waste management goals to achieve
- Clearly outlined measures to follow to reduce waste
- Specific ways to involve all employees
- Initiatives and recognition for employees who achieve personal and company-wide waste reduction goals
2. Convert to LED lighting
Switching to LED lighting offers multiple benefits to organizations seeking to reduce waste and preserve the environment. Medical facilities, shopping centers and manufacturing plants are just a few examples of the types of businesses that can reduce waste by converting to LED lighting.
Below are a few key ways that LED lights help in waste reduction:
- LED bulbs last up to 10 times longer than other bulbs, reducing?bulb disposals
- LED lighting is mercury-free, reducing the amount of harmful waste produced
- Purchasing fewer replacement bulbs reduces packaging waste
3. Implement an online training system
By using an online training system or a Learning Management System (LMS), you can preserve the environment by reducing paper and carbon waste. The LMS virtually eliminates the need for bulky training binders filled with paper modules and allows employees to engage in learning from the device of their choice from any location.
Below are the ways that using an LMS or eLearning system will aid in waste reduction at your company:
- An LMS eliminates the accumulation of paper training modules
- An LMS reduces your carbon footprint
- An LMS helps to extend the life of your printer by reducing wear and tear
- An LMS reduces the use and disposal of paper clips, pens and binders
4. Consolidate your shipments and use properly sized boxes
This step is critical for manufacturing companies and distributors who regularly package and ship products. Supply chain managers and shipping personnel can help reduce waste through the following strategies:?
- Avoid using boxes that are significantly larger than necessary to protect goods
- Train employees on proper packaging techniques and waste reduction
- Consolidate multiple orders for the same customer whenever possible
5. Put your catalogues on a flash drive instead of printing copies
Many businesses in Australia still rely upon printed catalogues to promote their products and services. In addition to being costly to produce, printed catalogues are often discarded without ever being viewed because they contain outdated material.
Copying your product catalogue to a flash drive will help your company save money and reduce waste in the following ways:
- Elimination of accumulated or outdated printed catalogues
- Unlike paper catalogues, flash drives can be cleared and reused
- Using a flash drive reduces your carbon footprint
6. Establish recycling stations throughout the office
This step is important because it enables all employees to actively participate in reaching company-wide waste reduction goals. Recycling stations should be easily accessible to members of all departments to be effective.
Additionally, the recycling containers within each station should be clearly labeled or color coded for easy separation of paper, metal, glass and plastic products.
7. Make the switch to electronic record keeping
The My Health Record is an example of a national initiative that has reduced waste by virtually eliminating the use of paper for the purpose of record keeping. While the initiative was developed for the primary purpose of securely maintaining an individual?s health records, the My Health Record initiative has been instrumental in helping to preserve the environment.
While other organizations in Australia are gradually making the switch to maintaining records electronically, other businesses still maintain paper records. By switching to electronic record keeping, these businesses will further reduce waste by reducing the use of paper and printing supplies.
8. Pay company bills electronically instead of sending payments by mail
Paying your company bills online or electronically is a strategy that will help reduce waste every day. Electronic bill payment reduces the amount of paper envelopes, checks and payment slips that are used and discarded as a part of the bill payment process.
Additionally, electronic bill payment offers speed and an electronic record of your payment.
9. Enlist the services of a trusted facilities management company
An experienced facilities management company will work with your organization to develop a comprehensive plan for waste reduction at your business.
They will conduct a thorough analysis of the waste your business produces and outline specific waste reduction strategies to help your business reduce operating costs and become a champion for the environment.
Selecting the Best Waste Management Company?
Not all waste management companies are created equal. We advise that you seek a forward thinking waste company that is committed to helping its customers save money and preserve the environment.
Please contact us now to learn how our straightforward approach will help your company reduce waste while maximizing profits. The professional consultants at T2 Environmental have the tools and expertise to help companies on a local, regional, or national level develop effective waste reduction strategies. We look forward to hearing from you!